Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 31, 2011

38 Weeks and Counting


Mommy and baby sister at 38 weeks!


Stats - 38 weeks down...14 days to go! Baby girl's due date is August 13, 2011. I keep feeling that she will arrive late - just like her big sister, but of course, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be much longer than a few days post due date. Elise was 10 days late, and I remember doing everything imaginable to try and get her labor going, because I did not want to be induced. Thankfully, labor started a few days before my scheduled induction. Baby girl, we are so excited to finally meet you, so please don't keep us waiting too long!! 
 
Weight gain - I have gained a healthy 26 pounds so far. With nearly two weeks left, I will be slightly under the 30 pound mark and I'm pretty happy with that. I know that 25-35 pounds is considered the normal weight gain for the average pregnancy, so no complaints here. 

How I'm feeling - Uncomfortable...yet excited as ever to meet our new little doll. At 32 weeks, baby girl turned head down, so I've been feeling her kicks and jabs up higher towards my upper stomach and ribs. I've also had quite a bit more Braxton-Hicks contractions. I rarely had them with Elise. That little stinker didn't turn head down until 39 weeks. However, I was happy that she did finally turn (the day before my scheduled c-section - talk about timing).  Baby girl kicks and moves around like crazy! I'm constantly staring at my belly and watching in awe as she always pushes out her legs and feet. It is also fun to poke at her legs and feet, because she will always kick and push back in response. Elise layed her head on my stomach the other day, which of course, was met by squirming and kicking from baby girl. Elise exclaimed, "Hey! Newbie is kicking me.", it was so funny. She has slowed down a bit in the last few weeks, as she's running out of room, but she still manages to stay active as ever. 

Sleeping is very difficult. I now sleep wedged between two pillows, one for my stomach and one for my back. I've always been a back sleeper, and as any pregnant women can attest, sleeping on your side is not comfortable when a huge 7+ pound baby flops to that same side and decides to squirm all night. Baby girl is very active at night and often keeps me up; most likely all in preparation for the many sleepless nights ahead.

Food cravings - I've been eating a lot more sweets this time around. I do feel a bit guilty because typically I don't like candy or sweets much at all. Dark chocolate cranberries and frozen yogurt have been my favorite treats. However, I've indulged on cheesecake, cookies and candy bars more often than I would like to admit! I'm sure baby girl enjoys the sweets too; or at least that's how I'm going to justify it.

Special moments - I would have to say, that the best feeling is when Elise asks to see her baby sister and then showers her with hugs and kisses. She is very aware that "newbie" will be here soon. We keep telling her that baby sister's birthday is coming up, and she gets super excited and likes to sing her "Happy Birthday". I know that once baby sister arrives, it will be a bit of an adjustment for Elise, but I think she will really enjoy bonding with her for the very first time. Elise understands that her new baby sister is a part of our family, and I can already see the deep love she has for her.

Baby girl's name - We still do not have a final name picked out, but we do have a list of about ten names that made the cut. We've decided to choose her name on her birthday. I've told daddy that he gets to name her, which I know he is very excited about!

We love you so much tiny baby girl. Let the countdown to your birthday begin! :)