Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 5, 2009

The first week, and the joys of new parenthood!



First Photo of Newborn Elise Liana Alessandro!


I have to start out by exclaiming, “This is my first time writing as a new mommy!". This past week has been a whirlwind of new emotions and experiences. Clint and I were finally united with our beautiful baby daughter, Elise Liana Alessandro! At last getting to see and hold the baby, we have come to love and adore over the past 9 months, was just incredible. This entire time it seemed like such an unreal experience and now it is our treasured reality. I can’t even begin put the experience into words. I think I went through every possible emotion imaginable with Clint right by my side.

After two days in the hospital, we were finally able to go home as a family of three! It was an amazing and exciting day. We had our first experience strapping little Elise in her car seat for her first car ride. She just seemed so tiny, fragile and beautiful. I sat in the back with her, shielding the sun from her eyes. I just couldn’t believe she was ours and now we were taking her home. From here on out, we would be on our own, learning everything as we go!

Fortunately, we had lots of help from both grandparents this week. It made things much more manageable. Although, as we soon learned, all she really does is sleep, eat and dirty her diapers. Daddy was great about helping with diapers and getting mommy through the difficult nights.


Newborn Elise doing what she does best; sleeping!

I must admit, I was riding a wave of adrenaline the first week. I don’t think I slept much at all. I had plenty of opportunities, as she slept so much, but I just couldn’t. I wanted to do more to take care of her. I wanted to watch her sleep. I didn’t want to leave her alone. I had to make sure I was feeding her enough. I just wanted to do everything imaginable for her. I realized this is what motherhood is; the desire to do everything to enhance the life of your child. I cried multiple times, not because I was sad, because I was overwhelmingly happy to have her in my life. I held her. I rocked her to sleep. Clint loved seeing my maternal side and was with me every step of the way. This week we both became parents. We will forever look back on this time and cherish it.


Three day old Elise - Home at Last!